Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Europe Trip - Day 6

Day 6 - Prague, Czech Republic


Military men walking around in front of Prague Castle. I felt bad for the dogs... they had muzzles... sad.


Guard at the entrance of Prague castle. It's like the guards at Buckingham Palace. They stand there and can't move.


The architecture in Prague is awesome! I loved all the Gothic stuff


Guards heading to go do the changing of the guards


View of Prague from the Prague castle.


Statue of King Charles IV. He was their best King here in the Czech Republic.


... And also with you...

An astrological clock in the Old Town center. People come and wait for it to go off every hour.


I thought this was a pretty cool statue


The Charles Bridge


This lady was playing classical type guitar on the Charles bridge. She was really good.


This is a partial picture of the John Lennon Wall in Prague

Imagine....



We all signed our names on the John Lennon Wall

That is a statue of Good King Wenceslas in front of the National Theatre Museum

My dad had set up a tour thing of Prague for today. We woke up... got ready... and went and had breakfast in the hotel because it was part of the price of the room. I wasn't really hungry, but my parents said I needed to eat... so... yeah. We sat around for a while and waited for our ride to come pick us up to take us to the tour bus. It finally came... really late... and we headed out. Once at the meeting point we jumped on the bus and were off. Our tour guide today was named Hannah. Her English wasn't too bad, but still hard to understand sometimes. They drove through Prague as she talked about historical things. I just kind of watched out the window. We drove up to the Prague Castle and got out of the bus. From here on... we would be doing a lot of walking... And Hannah wasn't slow about it. Most of the pictures I have we couldn't really pose in because we had to hurry and take pictures if we were wanting to get any. We went ALL over the Castle grounds. Their architecture is awesome... just within the castle there was a mixture of Baroque, Gothic, and Romanesque buildings. They were really cool looking. I enjoyed the Gothic stuff the best... it's very dark. After the Castle, we met up with the bus again and drove down to downtown Prague. There's an "Old Prague" and a "New Prague"... we saw a lot of both. We just walked around seeing anything that Hannah could point out and tell us about its history. It was very interesting, but after a while... my dogs were barking. The tour finally ended about mid-afternoon. They stop at the Old Downtown Square... and then you're on your own. So we started going around and exploring all the streets and stores. We also set out to find the John Lennon Wall... I had no idea where it was, but I had seen that there was one in Prague while I was looking online... so of course I HAD to see it. We got directions... and asked a few people exactly where it was... I was happy. :) After that we went back towards downtown so we could find the tram to take us back to our hotel, but somehow we started looking in stores for a chandelier for mom. She always buys one new, really nice gift at the new places that my parents go to... so she decided to get a crystal chandelier for her dining room this time. I couldn't believe how long it took. She found one she kind of liked, but then we had to go to like 8 other stores so she could keep looking... and of course they weren't near each other. It was quite the bit more of walking, but we did it. I did have fun talking to one of the girls that worked in one of the stores outside while she was having a smoke. She was very nice and interesting to talk to. My mom finally found a chandelier she liked... which ended up being in the first store we went into in the first place... we went back to it after a while. I guess that's what you have to do before you can pick out something nice like that. I'm not a shopper... so I don't know. :) We then walked to the National Theatre Museum to look at that and the statue of King Wenceslas. Finally we grabbed a taxi and had them take us back to the hotel. We were all exhausted. This trip is really getting to us with all the walking :) But it's definately well worth it. I'll be in real good shape by the time I come home to the states again. Anyway... I'm heading to bed. Gonna be driving to Salzburg tomorrow and dad says this time I have to stay awake for the drive so he'll stay awake too. HA :) Signing off!

3 comments:

The Dimick Clan said...

the imagine photo is now stolen for my keepsake of Europe haha i LOVE IT!
ps.. the dogs proly have face plates so they dont rip you to shreds.. just a thought :)

James said...

That John Lennon was is cool. Did you make any faces at the guards? Should have flashed them or something to see if they smirk. Maybe I shouldn't encourage my lil sis to do that but you should have done something. Maybe some sort of goofy dance. Prague looks pretty cool though.

Amy Herzog said...

I bet you didnt know that I have a lot of Czech in me...I know...I know. We are all a big mystery!
I bet they have some amazing shoes in Prauge....didnt happen to snap any photos of those did ya? haha.
I am sure I am late and I dont know if you have already been or going back, but Jim Morrisons grave is in Paris. My mom went there, apparently she DID enjoy the 70s....who knew?! haha