Monday, August 25, 2008

Europe Trip - Day 4

Day 4 – Holland and Germany


More windmills than you ever wanted to see

This picture was taken specifically for my sister Laurena... she loves cows.

Guy who did the wooden shoe demo showing off his coolio shoes


Did you know Nike and Adidas did wooden shoes? Me either.


The cheese wench

Mom petting goat... obviously...

Guess what... CHICKEN'S BUTT!!!!

I had to.... this windmill was named "The Cat". HA

This was some of the little village in Zaanse Schans

I tried to take some scenic pitcures of Germany... this was one of the better ones

Europe has the BEST candy... Their gummy bears are way better than the ones in the states


This was my first home in Blofeld, Germany

This is where I took my first steps

Herr und Frau Ticu's Haus... that's little Yul in the doorway.



This will be my second night without Internet. We tried getting it to work, but for some reason it would not. Oh well. Today we woke up I guess about as early as we normally have here… around 8. We got ready and checked out of our hotel. Today we went to Zaanse Schans. It is a little place in Holland just Noord (North) of Amsterdam. It is supposed to be like an old Holland village that you can go visit. It was numerous windmills for you to go see and little houses that people still actually live in. They show you how they make cheese… and you can sample it… and they show you how wooden shoes are made. It was a neat little place. We didn’t stay too long because we had to drive to Germany today to stay at our friends house, Herr und Frau Ticu (Mr. and Mrs. Ticu). They are friends of my parents from when they lived in Germany. It took us about 4 hours to get to Blofeld, Germany. It was quite the drive… Germany is beautiful. It ‘s really green with lots of hills and trees… too many trees. ☺ In fact… that’s mostly what I saw most of the drive, which is why I don’t have many scenic pictures. As soon as I saw something I wanted to take a picture of, I’d pull out my camera, but then there’d be trees in the way again. It was gorgeous nonetheless. When we first got here my parents showed me where they lived, my first home. I hadn’t ever really seen it. I saw (from a distance) where I took my first steps… and was pointed out whose windows were whose in the house. It was pretty cool. We then drove the short distance to the Ticu’s where we were greeted with smiles and open arms. I don’t remember them really at all, though I swear we came and visited them last time I came with my parents like 11 years ago, but they said they hadn’t seen me since I was a baby… so I could definitely be wrong. I’ll have to ask mom and dad tomorrow. We had afternoon coffee (ours was a fake coffee called Caro) with strawberry cake (SOOOO GOOD) and cheesecake with a hard chocolate topping. We spent the majority of the afternoon and night talking to Herr and Frau Ticu, their daughter Katherin (not sure if that’s where my parents got the name or not) and her husband Edgar… while their two children Emily and Yul did their thing. It was fun…. Just talking about whatever… memories with my family…. Asking each other questions about our cultures in the states and in Germany… I had a blast. I wish we weren’t only staying one night. They made us dinner, which was a lot to eat. Frau Ticu made a lot of common German foods so that I would get a chance to try them. I tried pretty much everything, but the lamb… I couldn’t get myself to do it… I did try the pork though (just a little). Everything was delicious. I ate way too much. After dinner Katherin had to take her kids home. She was going to try taking me into Frankfurt to some show that was going on, but by the time we ate… it was getting late and her kids needed to go to bed. But the rest of us took a little after dinner walk. It was nice. It is a very small, but cute village that they live in. We spent the rest of the night… still talking and are finally now going to bed. I have been exhausted with the traveling so I’m going to go to sleep. Goodnight!

2 comments:

James said...

I briefly remember the German house. I wish I could try out some of the food you got to try. I'm getting a little sick of fast food these days thanks to mandatory lunches. :)

The Dimick Clan said...

so umm you say the gummies are better there huh?... hmmm interesting ha